Polaris Tech is currently managed and governed by the Steering Committee. The Steering Committee meets every Tuesday at 8:30-10:00 at the Beaufort-Jasper Water and Sewer Authority in the community room. The meeting agendas and minutes are posted on the following pages - Meeting Agendas and Committee Minutes.
The Polaris Tech Steering Committee, during the planning year and until the Board of Directors is established, will have the authority to develop policies, make decisions, and execute each of the following responsibilities:
- Employ the Executive Director;
- Employ, with input of the Executive Director (if hired), administrative staff;
- Employ, with the input of the Executive Director and Director of Teaching, Learning and Accountability (if hired), instructional and non-instructional employees;
- Ensure that all employees including administrative staff, certified personnel, teachers, and noncertified teachers undergo background checks and other investigations before they are employed in the school;
- Contract for services, including but not limited to, transportation, accounting, and legal;
- Develop pay scales, performance criteria, and discharge policies for its employees, to include the Executive Director;
- Decide all other matters related to the school’s operation, including budgeting, curriculum, instruction and operating procedures; and
- Ensure that the school will adhere to the same health, safety, civil rights, and disability rights requirements applicable to all public schools operating in the same school district.
No later than March 2018, a Board Development Committee will be appointed by the Charter School Committee to begin the process of establishing the Board of Directors. The Board Development Committee shall be responsible to:
- develop board director criteria;
- recruit and get nominations for potential board directors in accordance with charter school law (50% of the Board will consist of members of the Charter Committee);
- prepare a slate of board director candidates in accordance with the bylaws;
- oversee the voting process for the new Board of Directors.
In September 2018, the Board Development Committee shall present the slate of candidates, who have indicated their willingness to serve, to the Charter Planning Committee for approval. The vote for the Board of Directors shall be held within the first four weeks of the first day of school. All employees of the charter school and all parents or guardians of students enrolled in the school are eligible to vote for board members.
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are still building the website. More information will be provided shortly.